J.P. Morgan Asset Management (Investment Management) is a leading investment manager of choice for institutions, financial intermediaries and individual investors, worldwide. With a heritage of more than two centuries, a broad range of core and alternative strategies, and investment professionals operating in every major world market, we offer investment experience and insight that few other firms can match:
- Clear focus on managing client assets and delivering strong risk-adjusted returns
- More than 1,100 investment professionals providing strategies spanning the full spectrum of asset classes including equity, fixed income, cash liquidity, currency, real estate, hedge funds and private equity
- Leadership positions in the U.S., U.K., Continental Europe, Asia, and Japan
J.P. Morgan Asset Management is the marketing name for the investment management businesses of JPMorgan Chase & Co. and its affiliates worldwide.
J.P. Morgan Asset Management’s Global Fixed Income, Currency and Commodities (GFICC) is a market leader managing over $690bn (as of December 31, 2020) in a broad range of fixed income strategies for institutional, sovereign and retail investors around the world. The Asian ex-Japan business is headquartered in Hong Kong, and represents a significant asset base and range of strategies, supporting clients both globally and across the region.
We are seeking an exceptional candidate as an Investment Specialist (“IS”) to cover both our Asian and Global Fixed income capabilities and offerings. The role will report into the Managing Director and Asia ex-Japan Head of GFICC Investment Specialists, based in Hong Kong.
The Asian investment specialist team is responsible for USD 9 billion in Asian fixed income and USD 26 billion in Global fixed income strategies delivered through mutual funds and bespoke separately managed accounts for sophisticated institutional and wholesale investors. The Asian fixed income team has 15 dedicated investors, analysts and traders. The candidate will interact closely with a number of our investment teams located in Hong Kong, London, and New York to service our global client base, with a primary focus on the Asia region.
We are currently awaiting regulatory approval of our 100% acquisition of our joint venture partner China International Fund Management (CIFM) based in Shanghai, and once this is completed the candidate will also work closely with the new entity to fully leverage our on-shore distribution capabilities and promote our China investment capabilities and offerings to the rest of the world.
Key Roles And Responsibilities
- The Investment Specialist’s role is to know the portfolios they represent as if they were the Alpha Portfolio Manager (“PM”). The IS should be fully integrated with the investment team to ensure that as much of the PM’s time as possible is devoted to investing.
- The IS is the de facto equivalent of a product manager, responsible for all aspects of the business except for investing. The IS will work in close partnership with PM(s), including on business strategy, product strategy and distribution strategy for the Asia region.
- The IS is accountable for client and RFP materials as well as internal marketing tools, and to promote the strategies they represent internally and externally. Engaging with the sales teams across distribution channels is essential to jointly develop distribution strategy, targets and tactical plans.
- The IS will partner with the Client Advisor (“CA”) and, where appropriate, the consultant sales team, to pitch for new business and will be the voice of the strategies in conferences, road shows, seminars and training. The IS is then responsible for implementing guidelines and coordinating on-boarding for new institutional or sub-advised mandates.
- The IS will be the primary point of contact with the client on investment matters, i.e., portfolio results and positioning. As such, the IS must have complete credibility with both the PM and the client. The IS will conduct Quarterly/Annual account reviews and is responsible for ensuring that the client has the information they need to be fully informed.
- The IS will also be responsible for overseeing and coordinating monthly portfolio and mutual fund reporting, including commentaries and performance data, working closely with internal teams that produce this content.
- Extensive knowledge and experience in Asian and/or Global fixed income markets
- Demonstrated track record in developing business across a range of investor segments, including retail, institutional and sovereign.
- Solution-oriented and consultative approach with sophisticated clients
- Ability to act as a fiduciary, with strong work ethic and positive attitude
- Team player, combined with the ability to work on own initiative
- Developed interpersonal, presentation skills and ability to deal with clients and colleagues at all levels
- Proven leadership skills
- Excellent time management – able to prioritise issues and respond in a timely manner
- Solid analytical and computer skills – Bloomberg, Excel, PowerPoint
- Degree, preferably in Finance, Economics or related subjects
- CFA, or equivalent qualification
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral
- Language requirements: Excellent communications in Mandarin and English; fluency in Cantonese is preferred
J.P. Morgan is a global leader in financial services, providing strategic advice and products to the world’s most prominent corporations, governments, wealthy individuals and institutional investors. Our first-class business in a first-class way approach to serving clients drives everything we do. We strive to build trusted, long-term partnerships to help our clients achieve their business objectives.
We recognize that our people are our strength and the diverse talents they bring to our global workforce are directly linked to our success. We are an equal opportunity employer and place a high value on diversity and inclusion at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute, including race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital or veteran status, pregnancy or disability, or any other basis protected under applicable law. In accordance with applicable law, we make reasonable accommodations for applicants’ and employees’ religious practices and beliefs, as well as any mental health or physical disability needs.