- Monitor and supervise the daily work of AML Reviewers, helping drive the operational performance to successful completion.
- Organize and review production and quality data to monitor working progress. proactively troubleshoot issues and/or recommend actions in a concise manner.
- Coordinate with Regional Head of Risk Management Services in the development of policy and procedure documents.
- Provide guidance to the fee earners, secretaries and the Client Due Diligence (CDD) Analyst regarding client identification and matter due diligence requirements on a regional basis.
- Review all new matters on a daily basis in order to ensure Anti-Money Laundering (AML) compliance.
- Escalate potential compliance risks and issues to the Compliance Lawyer and/or Head of Compliance.
- Comply with AML requirements within required time frames.
- Properly assess client and matter risk and assign a risk rating for new clients and matters in C3.
- Perform research to obtain client identification documents.
- Review all client and matter due diligence information in C3 (the Firm’s matter opening system) to ensure compliance with Practice Direction P – Guidelines on AML and Terrorist Financing.
- Conduct and review politically exposed persons (“PEP”) checks of new client individuals and beneficial owners.
- Resolve sanction hits in Accuity (Firco Compliance Link).
- Update and maintain client and internal standard forms and training material for Hong Kong and the regional offices.
Qualifications / Person Specification
- Degree qualified, preferably in Law degree with minimum 7 years’ relevant experience.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving and strategic thinking skills.
- Confidence and professionally poise to work directly with Compliance Lawyers, managers, practice groups and other firm leaders.
- Strong presentation, verbal and written communication skills, and experience communicating to, and working with other support functions.
- Compliance experience / good understanding of risks is a must.
- Extremely detail oriented with strong analytical and organizational skills.
- Proficiency in MS Excel and Word. High level of comfort working with a variety of IT software packages is required.
- Self-starter, ability to use initiative and provide pro-active support to all staff.
- Good command of spoken English; Cantonese and Mandarin advantageous.
We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome applications from all qualified candidates. Information provided will be treated in strict confidence and only be used for recruitment-related purposes.
At Mayer Brown, we understand that our people are our greatest asset. Attractive salary, fringe benefits and excellent career development opportunities will be offered to the right candidates.
Personal Data Privacy Information
* Mayer Brown is a global services provider comprising associated legal practices that are separate entities, including Mayer Brown LLP (Illinois, USA), Mayer Brown International LLP (England), Mayer Brown (a Hong Kong partnership) and Tauil & Chequer Advogados (a Brazilian law partnership) (collectively the “Mayer Brown Practices”) and non-legal service providers, which provide consultancy services (the “Mayer Brown Consultancies”). The Mayer Brown Practices and Mayer Brown Consultancies are established in various jurisdictions and may be a legal person or a partnership. Details of the individual Mayer Brown Practices and Mayer Brown Consultancies can be found in the Legal Notices section of our website.