Thousands of us around the world wake up every day with a common purpose to make the world a safer, more secure and sustainable place. Science is in our DNA; we are endlessly curious and passionate about seeking and speaking the truth. We take delight in knowing that our work makes a meaningful contribution to society, and we are proud that our culture is centered on integrity, collaboration, inclusion and excellence. UL stands at the forefront of technological advancement, and we are continually challenged to find new ways to foster innovation and positive change. Satisfying? Yes. Exciting? Absolutely!
Under minimal supervision, sets up complicated equipment and performs complicated tests within areas of responsibility where working knowledge of the underlying scientific and engineering fundamentals is required. These may include tests without published requirements, or those involving unique features that require the use of independent judgment. May plan tests, evaluate test results and report opinions and interpretations. May assist PDEs and/or Engineering to modify existing methods or develop and validate new test methods. Initiates recommendations for new equipment designs. Provides feedback and may assist in development of laboratory procedure guides (LPG). Provides training and assists others in the laboratory.
- Examines test samples and reads measuring instruments, blueprints, schematics, wiring diagrams, and operational instructions. Evaluates test performance, provides feedback regarding issues and/or problems with test and data sheets and reviews test and construction data with supervisor and/or lab work requestor as appropriate. Operates with minimal supervision within defined limits of responsibility.
- Directs, builds and/or adapts setup and test equipment to new situations, based on data sheets and instructions from engineering department personnel. Trains staff in test setups and test methods. Initiates recommendations for new equipment designs and recommends solutions to observed test problems.
- Operates designated machines and special laboratory equipment. Performs routine maintenance of designated test equipment and laboratory area.
- Receives instructions from and reports data to engineers and other laboratory personnel. Communicates with clients during the setup and performance of a test to demonstrate or otherwise illustrate equipment test methods and/or to discuss test results. May communicate with UL field representatives to discuss follow-up tests, samples, equipment, methods and/or results.
- Communicates with the appropriate department personnel to offer suggestions pertinent to equipment needs.
- Records observed or calculated data on appropriate UL forms and prepare data sheets and test reports.
- Plans tests, evaluates test results and reports opinions and interpretations. May assist PDEs and/or Engineering to modify existing methods or develop and validate new test methods.
- Provides training and assist others in the laboratory.
- Integrates continuous improvement concepts and techniques into all aspects of the job.
- Performs other duties as directed.
Some University education in a related discipline plus four years directly related experience required.